Wednesday, June 30, 2010

6th Grade Graduates


This year we had four 6th graders graduate from our Kids Hope program! We treated the kids and their mentors to a wonderful "fancy" dinner at Camilo's Bistro in Eagle Rock. We had a few basic etiquette reminders and ordered our meals. One of the kids said, "I'm not even trying to be nice, but this is the best food I've ever eaten in my life!" :)


This evening was special for so many reasons. All four of these pairs had been together since Kids Hope started three years ago. My little mentee, Miranda was among them! :) Before the food came I asked each mentor to come prepared with a statement about what they love about their Kids Hope kid, what talents/skills they see in them, and what their hopes are for them for the future. We shared these thoughts with one another and each child smiled shyly as their mentor spoke...soaking in the words!


When we were done speaking, I asked the kids to tuck these words from their mentor into the back of the photo frame we were giving them. And when the day comes (which we all have) and they don't feel like they can do anything right or don't feel like they're good enough, I instructed them to pull out this sheet of paper from their mentor and remember this night.


I don't know if they will, but I can tell you the words that were spoken over them were life-giving, affirming and true. I am so thankful for mentors that go the distance and continue to believe in their kids, continue to love and affirm them and remind them that they matter. I left that restaurant fully convinced that anything is possible for these graduates!

1 comment:

  1. Sarah, what a wonderful idea bout putting the words of affirmation somewhere where they can remind themselves if they need to some day. Great memories for them as well. Jo Saraceno

    ReplyDelete